|Buy this picture
aerial photograph of signals square and control tower at former RAF Gaydon Warwickshire UK . RAF Gaydon opened in 1942 and during the war was used for training with . Vickers Wellingtons and Avro Ansons. During the cold war the runway was extended for V-bomber operations. Aircraft operating from here included the Vickers Valiants, the Handley Page Victor and the English Electric Canberra. The airfield closed in 1974 although gliding carried on until 1977. British Leyland bought the aerodrome in 1978 and developed the site as a test track. It has been used for motoring purposes ever since and today is home to the Heritage Motor Centre museum, Aston Martin, and the Jaguar Land Rover Gaydon Centre.