|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Saint John the Baptist Church Mayfield Staffordshire England UK. The current Norman church was built in 1125 to replace a previous Saxon Church which was known to exist through its entry in the Doomsday book of 1086. The Church was altered through the middle ages including the construction of the tower in 1515 and then a final extension in 1854. During the Jacobite rising of 1745 the retreating Army of Bonnie Prince Charlie ran riot through the village murdering a number of people. Most of the villages took refuge in the church which still bears the marks of musket balls on its church doors. Later some of the Jacobites were hanged from the nearby bridge giving it the name "The Hanging Bridge" which it bears to this day.