Ripon Cathedral Yorkshire aerial photograph
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Ripon Cathedral Yorkshire England UK. The oldest part of Ripon Cathederal , the crypt, dates back to Saxon times when Saint Wilfrid built a church here to replace an older wooden church. Much of the rest of the church was destroyed by King Eadred in 948. This was rebuilt but again destroyed by William the Conqueror in 1069. The Church was again rebuilt with the western end with distinctive twin towers in the photograph being completed in 1220. Further work was carried out through the 15th Century to produce the masterpiece we see today.