|Buy this picture
aerial photograph of Roman signal station, Scarborough, North Yorkshire England UK . The Roman signal station was built in the370 AD and is one of a series along the North Sea coast which warned of raids by Saxons. When built it comprised of a 33m wide ditched enclosure on which was built a 30m high wooden signal tower. Today only the foundations stones remain which were uncovered in the 1920's after being buried for nearly two millennia. The signal station was in use until destroyed in the 5th century AD. Around 1000 AD a Chapel was built on the site, partially incorporating the remains of the Roman structure. This was destroyed during the invasion by Harald Hardrada in 1066.