400 kV Thames Crossing from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of the 400 kV Thames Crossing overhead power line at West Thurrock Essex. The crossing was built in 1965 and includes the two tallest electricity pylons in Great Britain. The crossing is 1372m wide and the towers are 190m tall. Originally the power cables were connected to the West Thurrock Power Station which was located in the bottom left of the image. This power station was constructed 1957-1963 but closed in 1993. The powerline is still in use and connects to the Stoneness Road Electricity Substation. Another survivor from the power station is the bulk unloader which can be seen on the West Thurrock Jetty near the centre of the image.