|Buy this picture
aerial photograph of Rugby Radio Station Warwickshire, England UK . Rugby Radio Station was opened in 1926 and closed in 2007. Before the Radio Transmitters the site was RAF Lilbourne and in service 1915 to 1920. Before the war it was used by the post office to transmit telegraph messages and after the war it was used to send messages to submarines. The first transatlantic commercial telephone service began here in 1927.From 1951 to 2007 the station was used to transmit the Time from NPL (MSF), aka The Rugby Clock, which is the UK's national time reference run by the National Physical Laboratory and based on atomic clocks. This service has since moved to Cumbria.