Borough Hill Daventry from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Borough Hill Daventry Northamptonshire England UK. Borough Hill is rich in history. It was first settled in the Bronze Age when it was used as a hill fort. During the Roman period the hill was farmed and a Roman Villa built on the site. It is perhaps best known for its use in radio transmitting and the early research into radar. The BBC constructed a transmitting station on the hill in 1924 and 11 years later, in 1935, Sir Robert Watson-Watt and Arnold Wilkins used the transmitter to conduct RADAR experiments, proving that RADAR was viable. The BBC closed their transmitting station in 1992 and today most of the masts have been removed. One mast remains ( on the left of the photo) which is used for telecommunications.