|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Crewe Loco Works Cheshire UK. Crewe Loco Works was opened in 1840 by the Grand Junction Railway. TheGJR became the London and North Western Railway which in turn became the London Midland and Scottish Railway and a considerable number of steam engines were built here, with the last constructed in 1958. Under British Rail the works switched to building Diesel locomotives. Today much of the site has been replaced by houses, however the central section is still used for rolling stock maintenance and is operated by Bombardier Transportation.