|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Belvoir Castle Leicestershire England UK. The first castle was built on this site by the Normans shortly after thier invasion. They also named the location Belvoir in French but the local Anglo Saxons were unable to pronounce the French and called it Beaver , a practice which has continued for a thousand years since.
The Norman Castle fell into disrepair in the 15th Century and was replaced by a second castle which was destroyed by Parliamentarians in the English Civil War. This was replaced by a new building in 1668 designed by John Webb which was more stately home than castle. This was rebuilt in 1816 with the House we see today. It has been a private family home for the same family for 500 years.
Image available for editorial use only.