Stockton market cross aerial photograph
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Stockton market cross on the High Street in Stockton-on-Tees town centre Cleveland , erected in 1768 to replace the previous medieval cross. Crosses have been used to mark important locations for over 1000 years,being particularly common during the medieval period. Many were destroyed or had their cross removed during the religious upheavals of the 16th and 17th centuries. Others like this one were replaced during the 18th and 19th centuries when history was less appreciated than it is today.