Earith Bulwark English Civil War Bastion from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Earith Bulwark English Civil War Fort / Bastion built by Parliamentarian forces between 1643 and 1645 and is thought to be the work of English engineers, Richard Clamp and Captain John Hopes, employing Dutch style fortification principles. In the early part of the English Civil war Earith was near the frontier between Parliamentarian held areas and royalists areas. During the second world war a Alan-Williams turret was mounted in the fort and the remains are still well preserved to this day. Alan-Williams turrets were a rotating steal dome mounted over a concrete pit. It contained a machine gun and a crew of two.