Dover Western Docks railway station from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Dover Western Docks railway station Kent England UK, opened as Dover Harbour railway station in 1863 by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) after the line was brought through a tunnel under Western heights from Dover Priory Station. In 1914 the line was extended further to a new station on Admiralty Pier now called Dover Marine / Dover Western Docks station. The station closed in 1994 and the tracks were subsequently removed, however the building remains. The pier is now used as a cruise liner terminal. Of special interest is the large metal dome on the lower right of the photograph. This is the Admiralty Pier Turret which was built in 1882 and contains contains two 80 ton Fraser RML 16 inch guns. These were the newest and most powerful guns of their time and were so powerful that when test fired they broke the lass in the lighthouse. The battery last saw service in WWII when it was manned by the Home Guard. The original guns are still in place to this day although not open to the public.