Dover Western Heights from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Dover Western Heights Kent England UK. The Harbour area at Dover is overlooked by high ground and military engineers have used this high ground for defensive purposes for centuries. The first fortifications on the Western Heights were built in 1779 in response to a threatened Franco-Spanish naval Armada of 1779. These defenses were rebuilt in 1804 in response to the threat of invasion from Napoleon. The main defenses are the Citadel at the western end built in 1780 and Drop Redoubt at the eastern end. The defenses were further improved at various times during the 19th century and then again during both the first and second world wars. The site was used by the military up until 1956. Since then much of it has become a nature reserve and the citadel is used as Immigration Removal Centre.