Maison Dieu, Dover from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Maison Dieu, Dover Kent UK. Maison Dieu, was founded as the "Hospital of the Mason Dieu" in 1203 and was intended to provide accommodation for continental pilgrims as well as local elderly people. In 1227 a Chapel was built, the consecration of which was attended by the King, Henry III. This Chapel still stands but has been used as a Court since the 19th Century.The Hospital was seized by the crown under Henry VIII and used by the military until 1830. In 1834 the building was bought by Dover Corporation for use as the Town Hall. From 1851 to 1881 the site received a Victorian Makeover under the directions of architect Ambrose Poynter which included various new buildings. Fortunately much of the medieval architecture survived the make over and today is protected as a listed building. It is still in use as Dover town Hall.