Whiteford Lighthouse on the Gower Peninsular from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Whiteford Lighthouse on the Gower Peninsular South Wales UK. Built in 1865 and designed by local architect John Bowen, Whiteford Lighthouse is a rare surviving example of Victorian Cast Iron architecture. The lighthouse is 13m tall and assembled from 105 cast-iron plates.The lighthouse was operational until 1920 when it was replaced by the light at Burry Holms.Today the remains of the structure are Grade II listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.