Exeter College, Oxford University aerial photograph
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Exeter College, Oxford University England UK. Exeter College was founded by Walter de Stapledon, Bishop of Exeter, in 1314. The oldest part of the college still extant is the Front Quadrangle and particularly the medieval tower which dates from 1432. The Chapel was built 1854 to 1860 and designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Opposite the Chapel is the Hall which dates from 1618. On the left is the Margary quadrangle which was completed in 1964. J. R. R. Tolkien was a student here from 1911 to 1915 when he graduated with first class honours.