location of medieval Plymouth aerial photograph
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of showing the location of medieval Plymouth . This part of Plymouth was was occupied in medieval times when it was surrounded by a city wall. earlier the main settlement had been further up the River Ply at Plymton but in the 11th century the river silted up and a new town was established at this location. Originally it was called Sutton which was a corruption of South Town. the name Plymouth was adopted after 1440.