South Caradon Mine - 19th century copper mine Cornwall aerial photograph
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of South Caradon 19th century copper mine St Cleer , Cornwall Cornwall England UK. The photograph shows the The Jope's Shaft pumping engine house at South Caradon Mine which is a Grade II listed historic ruin. Tin had been mined in the area since prehistoric times and copper was extracted from the 16th century onwards. This mine was opened in 1836 with Jope's Shaft sunk around 1850. The pumping engine house originally contained a Sims compound engine and the boiler was contained in a separate boiler house. The mine closed in 1885 due to a combination of faling ore prices and exhaustion.