Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Royal Ordnance Factory Leeds West Yorkshire UK. Royal Ordnance Factory first opened during the First World War when it was known as National Filling Factory No. 1 (Barnbow) and was Britain's largest shell factory. Manufacturing munitions was extremely hazardous and there were 3 fatal explosions during the First World War, with the largest in 1916 killing 35 of the women who worked there. The Factory continued to be used for defence, particularly tank manufacture until recently. The factory produced the Centurion, Chieftain and lastly the Challenger Tanks. The factory was sold to to Vickers plc in 1986 but closed in 2004. Since this photo was taken the remaining factory buildings have been demolished and the site converted into an industrial estate called an industrial estate Radial Park.