Folkestone Harbour from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Folkestone Harbour Kent UK. The 13 arch Folkestone Harbour viaduct was built in 1843 by the South Eastern Railway Company ( SER ), and was designed by their Chief Engineer William Cubitt.The swing bridge was built in 1930, also by the South Eastern Railway Company and by Chief Engineer George Ellson. The line served the rail/sea passenger interchange for the Ferry to Boulogne and was particularly important for troop transport during the first world war. Folkestone Harbour railway station was originally built 1843-1849 but then resited in 1856. The station closed to regular services in 2001 although a number of heritage trains used the line up until 2014 when it closed permanently.