Priory Visitor Centre and St Mary's Priory, Coventry from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Priory Visitor Centre and St Mary's Priory , Coventry West Midlands UK. Priory Visitor Centre is built over the remains of St Mary's Priory which was founded in AD1043 under the patronage of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, and his wife, Lady Godiva. The church was built on the site of a Saxon Nunnery which was destroyed by a Danish raid in 1016. The Priory was a Benedictine monastery and became a Cathedral in AD 1102. The church was rebuilt during the 12th and 13th centuries but was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539 and today only the ruins remain.