West Smithfield Ramp from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of West Smithfield Ramp London England UK. West Smithfield ramp is an significant but little known piece of Victorian engineering which gave access to the underground railway which when built was the world's first underground railway. The subterranean goods station allowed livestock to be brought cleanly and efficiently to Smithfield Market and meat to be delivered by road. A hydraulic lift was incorporated to link the station and market above. The circular structure was built in 1862-5 and is Grade II listed. It incorporates a garden at its centre which was opened in 1873 and contains a bronze figure of Peace by J Birnie Philip. The goods yard was used up until the 1930's and the underground station closed in the 1960s, since when it has been used as a car park.