Chalk Farm , Primrose Hill railway station & The Roundhouse from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph Chalk Farm London UK, showing Primrose Hill railway station & The Roundhouse. Primrose Hill railway station was opened in 1855 by the North London Railway. It was previously called Hampstead Road and then later Camden (Chalk Farm) . Primrose Hill closed in 1992 and the platform buildings were removed in 2008. The Station Building shown in the photo remains but is not used by the railway. The Roundhouse was built in 1847 by the London & North Western Railway and designed by Robert B. Dockray and Robert Stephenson. It had a short life as an engine shed as steam locomotives rapidly became too big for its relatively small dimensions and by the end of the 19th century was used as a warehouse. In 1964 it was converted to an arts venue in which role it still serves. The Building received a £27m renovation completed in 2006 and is Grade II listed.