Jarrow Bridge from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Jarrow Bridge, Tyne & Wear UK. Grade II listed Jarrow Bridge on Don Road is of uncertain age but the historical records show it was repaired between 1781 and 1783 by a Stone Mason called William Allison. There must have been a bridge here is Saxon times to provide access to the Monastery and for centuries after it was the main Road between Jarrow and South Shields but has since been bypassed by a more modern bridge and is no longer in use. Whether and to what extent Allison's work incorporated the original Saxon structure is unknown. The bridge was widened in the early 19th century and restored in 1999.