Battersea Power Station from the air
|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Battersea Power Station London England UK. Grade II listed Battersea Power Station was built between 1929 and 1955 with the war causing a break in construction. The building actually contained two separate power stations Battersea A and Battersea B with the A coming online in 1935 and the B in 1955. The responsible engineer was Leonard Pearce and the architects were J Theo Halliday and Giles Gilbert Scott who also built Oxford's New Bodleian Library and Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. The power station was decommissioned between 1975 and 1983. After removal of the generating equipment it was left as shown in the photograph, abandoned and derelict. Since this photo was taken the building is being turned into a mixed use development.