the ruins of St Davids Bishops Palace and St Davids Cathedral from the air
|Buy this picture
aerial photograph of the ruins of St Davids Bishops Palace and St Davids Cathedral in St Davids (Tyddewi) Pembrokeshire . St Davids Bishops Palace (Llys yr Esgob Tyddewi) was founded in the Dark Ages around the 6th century, although most of the surviving ruins are medieval and date from the 13th to 14th centuries. The Palace was originally established as a Monastery and it was raided many times by vikings. After the Norman conquest the site became of great importance and was even visited by William the Conqueror in person. Under the Normans the Monastery became a Bishops Palace which was defended by a castle. By the 16th century the palace had declined in importance and in 1536 the Bishop sold the lead off the roof , after which the buildings fell into ruin. St Davids Cathedral was completed in AD 1181 replacing a smaller building from AD1131. The tower collapsed in AD1220 and was subsequently rebuilt. The Cloister was added in the 14th century. The building was restored by John Nash in 1793 and then again in the 19th century by George Gilbert Scott.