|Buy this picture|
aerial photograph of Papplewick Pumping Station
Rigg Lane Ravenshead Nottingham NG15 9AJ England UK. Papplewick Pumping Station was built by Nottingham Corporation Water Department 1881 to 1884 for pumping water from the Bunter sandstone to provide drinking water to the City of Nottingham.The station was replaced by electric pumps in 1969 but the buildings and steam engines have been preserved as a museum. The steam engines are run regularly as can be seen by the chimney smoke in the photograph.