British Motor Museum Gaydon from the air
|Buy this picture
aerial photograph of Heritage Motor Centre at former RAF Gaydon Warwickshire UK . RAF Gaydon opened in 1942 and during the war was used for training with . Vickers Wellingtons and Avro Ansons. During the cold war the runway was extended for V-bomber operations. Aircraft operating from here included the Vickers Valiants, the Handley Page Victor and the English Electric Canberra. The airfield closed in 1974 although gliding carried on until 1977. British Leyland bought the aerodrome in 1978 and developed the site as a test track. It has been used for motoring purposes ever since and today is home to the Heritage Motor Centre museum, Aston Martin, and the Jaguar Land Rover Gaydon Centre. The British Motor Museum is the world's largest collection of British cars with more than 300 exhibits on display. British Leyland began collecting and preserving historic vehicles in the 1970s and formed a company to look after them. This then became the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust and included vehicles from other manufacturers. The collection moved into a new purpose built museum in 1993 and is now one of the UK's top tourist attractions.